Saturday, May 25, 2013

Demonstration at Matthaei Botanical Gardens Conservatory

s  Plein Air Oil Painting Demonstration at Matthaei Conservatory, February 11, 2013

On February 11, the Ann Arbor Women Artists and the Great Lakes Plein Air Painter's Association held a joint painting meet at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens. A wonderful opportunity to be surrounded by lovely flowers and greenery in the bleak month of February in Michigan. Since I am a member of both art groups and coordinated the event I also volunteered to do a morning plein air demonstration to kick off the 2013 season. We were asked to have our demo on the mezzanine so as not to obstruct the pathways. Quite a challenge for me since the interesting views were through glass. Oh well I did the best I could. I hope everyone came away with some insight into what plein air painting is all about. We had a nice turn out of  about 20 artists. After the demo artists spread out all through the Conservatory to paint or sketch their own artwork. 

No comments: